Intelix Security Briefing: 19/01/20
Target Area: The Philippines, Nigeria, UAE, Middle East, W. Africa.
- The Gambia: It has warned its ex leader, Yahya Jammeh, not to return. Jammeh was forced into exile by Gambia’s neighbours, with efforts involving Nigeria. His return is unlikely to be supported by those countries. The Gambia continues to be a stable country & a popular tourist destination. Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-51082371
- Nigeria: a little rift has emerged between British Airways [BA] & the Federal Aviation Authority of Nigeria [FAAN] over the diversion of a BA flight from Nigeria’s Murtala Mohammed Airport [LOS] to Ghana’s Kotoko International Airport, in Accra. BA alleges landing conditions at LOS were unsafe. FAAN allegedly temporarily closed the runway at LOS. They deny this. BA is a leading global airline with an excellent safety record. FAAN, on the other hand has had safety issues over the years. We’re monitoring this issue. Read more: https://nairametrics.com/2020/01/11/british-airways-faan-divided-over-flight-diversion/
- Lake Chad Area: similar to Nigeria’s North East, this area is a hotbed of religious rebellion. The Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) operates in this area & continues military interdiction missions, support by the French military. Avoid non-essential travel to this area. Read more: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/01/mnjtf-kills-iswap-top-commander-khalifa-umar-three-others/
- Iran: the fallout from the downing of the Ukrainian passenger plane in Iran continues. Protests are ongoing, with protesters calling for justice. There have also been negative international reactions. Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran-crash/our-enemy-is-here-iran-protesters-demand-that-leaders-quit-after-plane-downed-idUSKBN1ZA0X6
- The Philippines: The Taal volcano has been spewing ash & the country is preparing for a major eruption. Factor in possible spillover effects into the rest of the country from a logistics perspective, if travelling there, or around that region. If you have loved ones inns region, ensure they are safe & have taken the necessary precautions. Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/philippines-evacuating-residents-watching-for-tsunami-after-taal-volcano-spews-ash/2020/01/12/aa779b26-3550-11ea-a1ff-c48c1d59a4a1_story.html
- Information Tech: Microsoft will soon be releasing a Windows update on Tuesday 14/01/20 to fix a critical flaw in a crypto component present in all versions of Windows. Please run/install all pending updates via Windows Update. Read more: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/01/cryptic-rumblings-ahead-of-first-2020-patch-tuesday/
Your use of the Beisance Intelix service is subject to our legal & privacy policies.
Security briefings are based on our opinions of publicly available information. Information is fluid, & changes all the time. This includes variableness & veracity. No warranty is expressed or implied in any way or form.
The provision of the briefings do not imply any contractual agreements between Beisance Intelix & end users.
Always consult your own enlisted & legally approved professionals for all matters that border on your security.
Always comply with all local laws in your country & notify the relevant legally constituted authorities regarding security issues.
Feedback & TipsIf you have any tips, or feedback, please send a message to email@example.com.
Intelix by Beisance